St. Philip Neri’s, Pettah is the most popular Roman Catholic Church in Colombo.. Further Details Visit : http://www.stphilipnerischurch.com
The foundation stone of St. Philip Neri’s Church, Pettah, was laid in 1858 & was blessed by the then Vicar General Matteo Gaetano on February 23, 1862. The church measuring 186 ft. by 45 ft. and having a capacity to seat 600, was probably one of the biggest landmarks in Colombo at that time, noted by its magnificent Corinthian front which resembled that of St. John Lateran in Rome. It was here then, in 1956, that the Blessed Sacrament Community from Australia, began their Eucharistic mission in what was their first foundation in Asia.
Faithful to the tradition and vision of St. Peter Julian Eymard, the founder of the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament, St. Philip Neri’s Church has served as an oasis of silence and peace in the heart of Colombo since 1956, and continues to offer welcome and meeting, prayer and adoration, spiritual guidance and sacramental reconciliation. While the Community is engaged in activities that manifest the riches and demands of the Eucharistic mystery in all its dimensions, it also looks for expressions better suited to the needs of its worshippers in order to make every liturgical celebration an expression of faith and a source of commitment. In this endeavor, the Community is happy to invite you to become associated with and share in its mission.